Homemade Laundry Powder

This week it seems my focus is on laundry, well not really - more like sharing with you the things I have used to wash my laundry with.... if I was "truly" focused on my laundry I would be next to my washer "using" it instead of sitting here writing about it LOL. Awhile back I shared with you my liquid version of my laundry soap (at .92 cents per gallon) that I LOVE, however I know that everyone is different and some people prefer liquid, some powders. I lean more toward the liquid but when I travel the powder is definitely more convenient to pack up and take along. The great thing about this recipe is that it utilizes almost the same ingredients as my liquid and is almost as cost effective per wash load! Once you try it, I doubt you will EVER buy that expensive stuff from the store again!!

The only "con" I can find with this recipe is I cannot use the "Dawn" in it, Oh I HAVE TRIED and I had a hard clumpy mess on my hands the next day lol- the meat tenderizer saved me that day :) So I reverted to the standby that you find in so many recipes, with "MY" twist in it of course :)
After experimenting with a couple of batches I finally came up with one that I felt gave a good run for the money to the liquid version. The Dry version makes about 42 oz for a total cost of 2.69. Using 1 TBS per wash load you will yield 126 loads for a cost of .021 cents per load, The liquid version runs .014 cents per load! That is crazy cheap! Lets even assume that you have a super large washer and use 2 TBS per load, STILL you are getting 63 loads of laundry for 2.69 at a per load cost of .042. All of this sounds great, but let's face it the most important part is if it works ~ not how much money you save, right? Well IT does work, quite well and the clothes smell great!
It is safe for HE machines I have been told by many who use it and have confirmed that on other blogs as well.
Are you ready to save some serious money?  Lets get started!

Homemade Laundry Powder

What you will need:
2 Cups of Borax - 20 Mule team (Walmart - 3.85 / 76 oz)
2 Cups Washing Soda - Arm & Hammer (Walmart - 3.45 / 55 oz)
1 Bar Fels Naptha laundry bar (Walmart .92 per bar)
1/2 Cup Citric Acid (amazon / spice world has various sizes - I get 5 lb for 18.00)
15 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil ** Optional Add 10-15 drops of your choice of essential oils - I use Tea tree because of its disinfecting properties, plus it just has a crisp clean smell that works well.
1 Reusable container with air tight lid - a 3# coffee can works good and has a wide mouth for ease in getting your hand in and out

First you will want to grate the bar soap very fine. I have an old blender that I use with my chopping blade and let it do the work for me. Works quite well and gets it pretty powdery within about a minute.






Now you just layer all of your ingredients into the coffee can or your reusable container. I do it about 1/2 of each at a time and then repeat. Put the lid on it and roll it around to mix it up. Get a 1 TBS spoon or scoop to leave in there and you are ready to wash your clothes AND save money. ** there are different scent soaps that you can choose from, I just get the regular one and have found that adding other scented essential oils to this mix is just not necessary because of the scented soap. I do use the Tea Tree oil because of the anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. The citric acid is the "secret ingredient" shhhh do not tell anyone ;0)  it helps dirt molecules to cling together on the water so it helps in getting your clothes (or any surface for that matter) to rinse out cleaner! Don't forget to add your homemade (click for recipes) "Fabric Softener Liquid" or your "Laundry Freshener Crystals" to the rinse water for a complete, Frugal and Green cleaning regimen! See house work can be fun ~ at least bearable as you smile thinking about what you are going to spend your extra money on (wink)
Now the only question that remains is what other cleaning supplies can I write about rather than doing? LOL

#DIYLaundry #EasyLaundry  #LaundryPowder

Comments

Popular Posts