Laundry Softener Crystals - Homemade

Scented Laundry Softener Crystals
It seems the latest rave in Laundry scents are the "crystal" scented softeners. Well have I got a treat for you, in a most unlikely place! Look in your medicine cabinet, yes you heard me correctly ;0). I have been making my own laundry products and building on my DIY arsenal of cleaning & personal hygiene products for a little less than a year now, and I must confess.... I am totally blown away at how easy all of this is! I am most impressed on how there is a new energy growing in the american family households- one of frugality, one of turning back to our grandmothers time and using what we have and using it effectively. This new emergence of frugality has an added benefit of not only saving a TON of money, but more importantly the health benefits are numerous. I have noticed an increase in my families general health, my allergies are subsiding, my bi-annual sinus infections have been none existent and my immune system just seems to be improving the longer I go without using all of those store bought items. Read some of my other recipes on this blog or visit me on pinterest for more great money saving recipes. Okay - now back to the laundry crystals (sorry I digressed momentarily). Go get your epsom salt and be prepared to be shocked!

Since I started this DIY laundry products, I have struggled with static cling during the winters when the air is dryer. There have been times I have "almost" went back to my "downy" but I have this little personality quirk that DOES NOT allow me to be defeated so easily ;0)
I have to thank Jillee@ onegoodthingbyjille.com for this awesome tip. I have well water so I have been adding Kosher salt to soften up my wash water, but I just never put it together like she did. Here is her recipe, and I must admit IT WORKED!

Laundry Softener Crystals

2 Cups Epsom salt
20 drops essential oil of your choice

THATS IT!  mix it up and use 1/4 cup per wash. Add this to the washer at the beginning of the cycle along with the laundry detergent! I love this, no more missed rinse cycles and there was no static cling in my towels!  I used 10 drops of Lavender & 10 drops of Orange essential oils. You can make as much or as little as you want, experiment with your favorite scents. A good rule of thumb is to use 10 drops of essential oil per 1 cup of Epsom salt.


Comments

Popular Posts