Home is where the heart is

About Me

My photo

Welcome to my Sustainable addiction! I am a DIY addict, Wife, Mother and Grandmother.  I enjoy sharing my all natural recipes, cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene items, gardening and all things sustainable including my farming.  
We are a family owned, woman run small farm located near the Edisto River in Dorchester County SC.
Our farming operation consists of poultry, quail, eggs, dairy and meat goats. You can buy from us with confidence as we hold a permit from SC to sell Poultry and are also licensed as a Wholesale Egg Distributor.
 
Through our farming practices we provide for our community a variety of Poultry breeds, Heavy dual purpose birds, exotic and ornamental chickens as well as Cortunix Quail that are heat tolerant for our hot SC Summers. 

Whether you are looking for Farm Fresh Eggs, Fertile eggs for hatching (Chicken and Quail), hatchlings, grown birds or Dairy and Meat Goats (seasonal births) we have a large selection of beautiful animals.  
 
We also have Dairy Goats and kids. Current 2017 births so far are 5 kids Nubian / Alpine Saneen cross and 2 Nubian / Toggenburg Cross.
  

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits ~ Bake now or freeze for later!

A delicious easy to follow recipe for making homemade buttermilk biscuits from scratch! It is not as hard or time consuming as it sounds, and it takes only a few minutes more than pouring from that box, or opening that refrigerated container. The best part? You will feel a sense of accomplishment and you will save a BUNCH of money!  If you have little ones in the house, let them help you, trust me it will be a memory that they will cherish forever!

The below recipe is for about 12 biscuits, depending on the size of your cutter. In my pictorial illustration I have tripled the batch, so don't worry that it looks like so much more than what I have called out below :) I make just about everything in bulk and then freeze it for later use. This is a huge time saver for me, it takes the same amount of time to prepare, BUT my finished product will give me MANY meals of homemade goodness!

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits ~ Bake now or freeze for later!

2 cups all-purpose flour    

2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Stick unsalted butter,
3/4 cup cold buttermilk * or whole milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp buttermilk for brushing

 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). if baking now.
 Line your baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper for easy clean up and release.


Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.


 Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes.


 Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined.


 Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.


Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat a couple more times.......Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch
 Cut out biscuits using a round biscuit cutter or glass. I used a mason jar ring :) 


Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. Since I am freezing mine, I just took some of the flour on my hands and wiped around the pizza pan so the biscuits would easily release once frozen. 



Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.

**For freezing**
Just sit them in your freezer now and come back to them in a couple of hours and place in your freezer bags. Make sure to mark them with the date so you will always use the oldest first. 



*NOTE: I triple this batch (which will make you about 32 - 40) Biscuits depending on the size of your cutter. Instead of baking them all, I place them on the baking sheets and place in my freezer for about 2 hours until they are individually frozen. I then remove them from the trays and put them in gallon freezer bags. Now I have ready to bake biscuits for any meal that are ready to go from the freezer to the oven! Because they are individually frozen I can pull out as many or as little as I need for my meals on the fly!

This is a BONUS for those "got" to have homemade meals in less than a 1/2 hour days!

#HomemadeBiscuits  #FreezerToOven  #FrugalBaking #BudgetMeals  #FastandEasyMeals #LivingNaturally