Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits ~ Bake now or freeze for later!

A delicious easy to follow recipe for making homemade buttermilk biscuits from scratch! It is not as hard or time consuming as it sounds, and it takes only a few minutes more than pouring from that box, or opening that refrigerated container. The best part? You will feel a sense of accomplishment and you will save a BUNCH of money!  If you have little ones in the house, let them help you, trust me it will be a memory that they will cherish forever!

The below recipe is for about 12 biscuits, depending on the size of your cutter. In my pictorial illustration I have tripled the batch, so don't worry that it looks like so much more than what I have called out below :) I make just about everything in bulk and then freeze it for later use. This is a huge time saver for me, it takes the same amount of time to prepare, BUT my finished product will give me MANY meals of homemade goodness!

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits ~ Bake now or freeze for later!

2 cups all-purpose flour    

2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Stick unsalted butter,
3/4 cup cold buttermilk * or whole milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp buttermilk for brushing

 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). if baking now.
 Line your baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper for easy clean up and release.


Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.


 Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes.


 Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined.


 Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.


Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat a couple more times.......Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch
 Cut out biscuits using a round biscuit cutter or glass. I used a mason jar ring :) 


Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. Since I am freezing mine, I just took some of the flour on my hands and wiped around the pizza pan so the biscuits would easily release once frozen. 



Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.

**For freezing**
Just sit them in your freezer now and come back to them in a couple of hours and place in your freezer bags. Make sure to mark them with the date so you will always use the oldest first. 



*NOTE: I triple this batch (which will make you about 32 - 40) Biscuits depending on the size of your cutter. Instead of baking them all, I place them on the baking sheets and place in my freezer for about 2 hours until they are individually frozen. I then remove them from the trays and put them in gallon freezer bags. Now I have ready to bake biscuits for any meal that are ready to go from the freezer to the oven! Because they are individually frozen I can pull out as many or as little as I need for my meals on the fly!

This is a BONUS for those "got" to have homemade meals in less than a 1/2 hour days!

#HomemadeBiscuits  #FreezerToOven  #FrugalBaking #BudgetMeals  #FastandEasyMeals #LivingNaturally

Comments

Popular Posts