How to can Pumpkin {Squash} Pie filling!


When you grow squash you either have a feast or famine and this year we have a feast x 100! I have been constantly picking, freezing, canning, cleaning, giving away and looking for even MORE recipes to utilize the bounty harvest we are having. After making pickles, marinades, casseroles, salads,jams and jelly's of various flavors I started thinking about how much I love pumpkin pies and apple butter, I just LOVE the cinnamon and spice flavors of fall. So I put my "experiment" hat on
this morning and came up with this recipe which turned out absolutely awesome, Seriously my house smelled like a fall day of baking pumpkin pies!



The recipe was really easy to assemble and I used my Ninja blender to puree everything together it was incredibly easy and I will definitely double this batch next time so I can make a full 8 pints at a time. I fully intend to use this to make pies, mixing with 4 eggs to make a custard like pie, or using it as the "liquid" for a spice cake and I think I may even use it to spice up weekend pancakes! Yes it is THAT good! And good for you lol - your family NEVER has to know :)

6 Cups Yellow Squash - chopped fine, packed down in cup
1 Can Crushed Pineapple 20 oz - Do not drain
2 Tbsp Allspice
2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp Cloves, whole
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract - 100% Pure - I used my homemade
1/2 Cup Water
5 Cups of Sugar

When the cooking is finished & before canning to thicken the filling up prior to canning:
1 Tbsp Cornstarch (additional)
3 Tbsp Water
mix together VERY well then remove your filling from heat and drizzle slowly while stirring the hot filling to keep from getting lumps. Now you are ready to can!

Pressure Canner
4 Pint Jars




Clean and seed the yellow squash and cut into big chunks.

Place in Blender, I used my Ninja with the 10 cup pitcher and blend until small chunks. 


While still in your blender, add in your canned pineapple, Spices, Cornstarch, Lemon Juice, Vanilla and Water. Blend for a few minutes until it is all pureed and mixed.

Transfer into a large cooking pot and cook on Medium Lo heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning.

Don't skip this step as you want to cook out the water from the squash before canning it.

Sterilize your jars and lids while the squash is cooking - I use my dishwasher for the jars on Rinse with the Hot Dry / Plate warmer turned on. Place lids and bands in a pan with hot water and get to a good boil on the stove, turn off and cover
Next add in your sugar all at once and stir well to mix in, turn the heat up to about 5 Medium and it will start a good rolling boil, stir occasionally and let the boil continue for 5 minutes.

Assemble your working area with your funnel, lid wand, jar lifter, hot sterilized lids and bands, a clean damp cloth to wipe the tops off and a ladle.


 Bring over your sauce pan and assemble your jars around your sauce pan so you can easily fill.


Fill your jars leaving a 1/2" head space



Wipe off the top of your jars and place lids and bands - only finger tighten, do not use your whole hand or else you will get them on too tight.





Place in your pressure canner - process for 8 minutes at 10# pressure. Make sure to follow all safety notes that came with your canner.


When your time is up and your canner has completely cooled off and depressurized remove the jars and place on a towel on your counter to finish cooling and sealing. You will soon here the "ping" of your lids sealing ~ success!

#Canning #preserving #FrugalKitchens #PumpkinPieFilling #MockSpicePiefilling #Squash #SustainableLiving


Comments

Popular Posts