Homemade Cornbread from Scratch!

With the crispness of fall fast approaching I have been CRAVING one of my favorite meals. A big pot of Homemade Chili with Fresh Cornbread! That is when it hit me, I have not shared this simple to make homemade recipe for Cornbread. Trust me, once you make this homemade you will NEVER open up that little box or bag of stuff again. It literally only takes a few minutes to put together and then bake for 20 minutes at 425*  Don't forget to make extra, it stores well for about a week in a ziplock bag in the fridge AND you can even store it in the freezer for your next meal.




By now I am sure most of you know that I make almost everything in bulk ~ It is a sickness. The way I figure it is I am going to make something it takes no more effort on my part to make a bigger batch than the smaller. The time I save in the future from prepping ahead however is quite substantial, not to mention the energy savings from using my oven only once to make enough for many meals and then freezing it. That saves me time during the week as well on pulling out home cooked meals from the freezer and heating them up. I know for some people / families that is not always an option, or just lack of storage / freezer area. You can still prep your dry ingredients together though and store in air tight containers or ziplock bags so then all you have to do is add the liquid ingredients, mix it up and bake....  that will then save you time as well AND keep you from buying the over priced stuff from the store - my motto is I can make it cheaper and better without all the preservatives and chemicals :)

Lets get started

Homemade Cornbread (From scratch) 


1 cup of yellow cornmeal
1 cup of white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 heaping teaspoon of baking powder
-(make sure to use aluminum free)
1 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk-
 I use whole milk, but 2% or skim works just as well
1/2 cup of 100% Olive oil - you can use vegetable oil as well 
Butter for the top! 

** I doubled the above batch so I could make 2 full pans of cornbread....My pictorial shows my double batch not what is called out above.  My granddaughters would not forgive me if I made a batch and did not bring them a plate full :) 



Measure all the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl. Blend them together well.

If you are just prepping this for later use, you can stop now and place into your storage container. I do this all the time with many of my dry recipes,  (Pancake mix, biscuit mix, cornbread etc.) I prepare them in bulk by triple or quad the recipes and then mark them with the product / date and measurements of the liquid ingredients to add. This label would read Cornbread mix 2 1/2 cups mix with 1 1/4 cups Milk, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil.


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees


Next you will add in the milk, eggs and oil and mix well. You want the consistency of pancake batter. You may need to add in a little more milk depending on how compacted your flour was when you measured it.




Grease your baking dish - I use olive oil and spread it around and up the sides.



Now pour your batter in your baking dish. I use a 10*13 pyrex baking dish and it fills it about 1/2 up with the recipe as called out. As it bakes it rises to a light and moist cake and fills the pan. I also have a HUGE cast iron skillet that I like to use for baking my cornbread in :0)


Put it in your preheated oven at 425 for about 20 -25 minutes. Set your timer. You will know it is done when it is a golden brown on top. My oven tends to be on the Hot side and things bake about 5 minutes quicker I take mine out at 20 minutes.



Don't forget the butter ~ spread it around on top while the cornbread is still hot!!







Ahhhh time for Dinner! Enjoy



#HomemadeCornbread  #EasyMeals #EasyDIYRecipes  #MyFrugalKitchen  #FrugalLiving #SustainableLiving

Comments

Popular Posts