Homemade Laundry powder for Babies & Sensitive Skin

We have a lot of homemade recipes for the family, the one thing that hit me though is, It is hard to find a good "Homemade" laundry detergent for Babies and Sensitive skin. Well that just will not do! Here is a twist on my homemade laundry powder that is specifically for Babies and people with sensitive skin. The cost savings are off the chart with this one as well, especially when compared to the 2 brands that are in the supermarkets designed for Babies. I know a lot of you make your own homemade bar soap so you can add extra savings to the recipe by substituting your soap for the Dove or Ivory.

The best part of this recipe other than it has a crisp clean smell is that it only costs about .02 per load!!




Homemade Laundry Powder for Babies & Sensitive Skin


What you will need:
2 Cups of Borax - 20 Mule team (Amazon - 3.97 / 76 oz)
2 Cups Washing Soda - Arm & Hammer (Walmart - 3.45 / 55 oz)
1 Bar Dove or Ivory 3-4 oz (Dollar gen brand is 1.50 for 4 bars or Amazon Ivory 8.99 for 16 Bars)
5-10 drops of Tea Tree oil.* (Disinfectent, Anti viral, Antibacterial and good for scrapes, bruises ~ skin in general) * Lavender Essential oil is another good choice to use.


1 Reusable container with air tight lid - a 3# coffee can works good and has a wide mouth for ease in getting your hand in and out. If you have nothing else to use, I have been known to go to the old standby ~ 1 Gallon ziplock bags. They are truly the Multi purpose storage / mixing bags.... plus you can "see" the things mixing together. That is a plus for me :)

First you will want to grate the bar soap very fine, I use Dove as it is a moisturizing bar that works well on sensitive skin and gentle on babies as well. I have an old blender that I use with my chopping blade and let it do the work for me. Works quite well and it will get it pretty powdery within about a minute. There is a trick however to this recipe, since the dove is a moisture bar and is a very creamy consistency, to help it get chopped up you have to improvise. You will need to add in about a cup of your washing soda into the blender to help it crumble, it will help to absorb the moisture. Also only pulse it for about 10-15 seconds at a time.
I use the same procedure as for my other dry recipes:
Layer all of your ingredients into the coffee can or your re-useable container. I do it about 1/2 of each at a time and then repeat. Top off with the Tea tree oil. Put the lid on it and roll it around to mix it up.
 Get a 1 TBS spoon or scoop to leave in there and you are ready to wash your clothes AND save money. ** You only need to use 1 TBS per load. If you have a extra large capacity machine, you can use 2 TBS and your cost will still be only .04 cents per load. I love the smell of this, it reminds me of when my children were small, the smell of their clothes~ mmmm the smell of fresh Babies :)   Don't forget to add your homemade (click for recipes) "Fabric Softener Liquid" or your "Laundry Freshener Crystals" to the rinse water for a complete, Frugal and Green cleaning regimine! Now we have your whole families laundry covered.
I hope you enjoy this and I look forward to you sharing your favorite recipes, hints, tricks and tips! Together we can make a change for the better that we can all live with!

#Diylaundrysoap #sensitiveskin #frugalkitchens #sustainablehomes #farmlife #sustainableliving #greencleaners #diyeasylaundrysoaps #allthingsgreen #saynotohighprices #deteregentsforbabies #babylaundrysoap #diylaundryproducts.

Comments

Popular Posts