My "Green & Sustainable" Addiction

I have been anxiously awaiting my latest order of Organic Coconut oil, Tea Tree oil and Eucalyptis Oil. It FINALLY arrived today! YES!! (forgive me it is a sickness lol ) I know to some this may seem like a strange combination, but to those of us who LOVE to make our homemade (fill in the blank) cleaning supplies, personal hygiene items (ie: hand sanitizer, shampoos, toothpaste, conditioner, cold salves etc.) We know that these are some very basic items to have on hand. I do have a growing assortment of essential oils, bees wax, glycerin and aloe. I buy organic 100% items. It never fails though, every time I think I have a good assortment I find something else "homemade" that I just have to try! My latest madness started a couple of weeks ago, I was running low on deodorant (intentionally) so I could put to use my latest research of a good "organic" substitute. I found a lot of blogs on it, and many good recipes which were pretty close to the same. The one Item I did not have was the coconut oil! ughhh I hate when that happens, it can also be used in toothpaste :) After pondering my situation I did what any good sustainable homemaker would do.... I improvised! I used tips I found at onegoodthingbyjillee.com  (absolutely love that woman) and homeshalomblogspot.com 
It is SO EASY, so Economical, smells wonderful and IT WORKS!!! What more could a person ask for :)

Here is my version:

1/8 cup Baking soda
1/8 cup Cornstarch
8-10 drops of Olive oil (instead of coconut oil 1-2 tsp)
1/8 Tsp of Cinnamon (this is a natural deodorizer)
1 drop of Lavender essential oil (or your choice of scent)*
* Tip - you can leave out the essential oil if you want or need a unscented product. You can also substitute it with any other scent, maybe a sandalwood or rosemary for men. 

I mixed the olive oil and lavender so the smell would be uniform, mixed together the soda, cinnamon and cornstarch with my wisk, then poured in the oil mixture, mix real good - at first it will have the look of dough when you cut in butter, just keep mixing it for a minute or so and it becomes silky soft and a hard paste!  Done! I currently have it in a small re-purposed hand butter container. It turned out close to solid enough that I think I may be able to reuse an old deodorant tube. This recipe requires no refrigeration to keep it solid. 
Enjoy and let me know how it worked for you!  
Green and Sustainable living is a change we can all live with!

Comments

Popular Posts