Brown Sugar is....Necessary and Easy to make!

Have you ever been in the middle of doing (fill in the blank) and all of a sudden reality just hit you in the face with something so obvious that you are literally amazed that you had never questioned it before? I call those "aha" moments, well depending on my mood and how totally stupid I feel by the revelation lol.
I had one of those moment's yesterday when I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few things. As I was finishing up I remembered that I needed brown sugar for my chocolate chip cookies that I was determined to make. Since Saturday when I realized I was out, the thoughts of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies have danced in my head! I proceeded down the baking isle, as a thousand times before, reached for the light brown sugar and then wondered what "really" is the difference between the light and dark? I had to look, that is when I realized that 40+ years of baking I never pondered that thought before. I picked up the bag and when I read the ingredients they were both the same, no different process. Okay I hear some of you laughing hysterically by now, but for the rest of us... I found ANOTHER homemade item... wooo hooo!! Homemade means fun in the kitchen. It means special times shared with my granddaughters. It means teaching the next generation how to learn from my mistakes and laugh at them. It means enjoying really good home baked items with no preservatives. YES a win, win, win situation. So without further delays
Lets make some Homemade Brown Sugar!
It is super easy & it took me less than a minute to mix it up! The cost is near nothing since I buy sugar in 25# bags it cost about .45 / lb and the molasses was 2.39 for 16 oz- are you ready?

                               
1 cup of white sugar
2 Tbsp of Molasses

Mix together with a sturdy wire spatula. Put in ziplock bag or in a re-purposed plastic container with lid. You can easily double / triple the recipe to make bigger batches since it won't go bad anytime soon.  


 I will NEVER buy brown sugar again, and after my aha moment yesterday, and laughing at myself all day today, I give you this change we can all live with! 


Comments

Popular Posts