Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments

Are you looking for a really fun craft to do with the children that takes very little money, blossoms with their own creativity and can be given as gifts or used in your own home? Welcome to the world of Salt Dough Ornaments! I would have never thought this project could be so fun or have so many options of items that can be made. The best part? 3 Ingredients that you already have and use in your kitchen! I am addicted!




I have done this for 2 years now and it is no longer considered a Christmas craft in my mind ~ there are just to many options and any holiday or special occasions can be a good reason to get your creative juices flowing.

Look at just how simple this is, the 3 ingredients are:


Salt Dough Ornaments:

2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Water

YEP that is it! You can alter the amount of dough you need by adjusting the ingredients up or down.
I mixed all the ingredients in my mixer for about 5 minutes with the dough hook. Roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/4" up to 1/2" depending on how thick you want your ornaments.

Use Cookie cutters, biscuit cutters or canning tops. I used a variety of different cutters for my projects. The children used the Christmas cookie cutters for their ornaments.
If you are going to use "Stamps" for the adult projects make sure to stamp your dough BEFORE cutting out.


Before drying make sure to place a hole in the top to put your ribbon or hanger through once they are decorated. You can use a small straw which I did not have so I improvised using one of my husbands larger drill bits - they are multi purpose lol

Dry out the dough by either:
putting it in the oven set at the lowest heat you can for a couple of hours. Do not try to rush this by using higher heat ~ The dough will rise! This worked pretty well for us. About 1/2 way through I turned over the ornaments to make sure they got really dried out well.
On my 2nd adventure AND from here to forward I will use my dehydrator. I set it on low heat and let it go for about 5 hours. Worked like a charm and it uses way less energy than an oven!

You can paint and decorate these with acrylic paint, sparkles and do a top coat of Modge Podge to seal. If you use stamps to decorate your creations you can just seal with Modge Podge or paint with a translucent covering (both front and back). The only boundaries are your imagination.

Once you have them decorated or sealed just add ribbon to hang - Fishing line works really well for hanging on the trees or making a mobile - it also multi purpose lol.

I have made children's hand prints to give to the other grand parents and parents, Christmas ornaments and little plaques. Next holiday will be something creative for Valentines day.... I am thinking Hearts with a picture of the family "Modge Podged" onto the finished plaque!

I would love to hear from you, what projects have you done with salt dough?


#diycrafts #kidscrafts #saltdoughornaments #easygifts #frugaldecorating #oldtimefun #holidaygifts, #giftideas




Comments

Popular Posts