How to make Amish Friendship Bread Starter Mix

I recently shared some tips and tricks for feeding and using your Amish Friendship Bread Starter mix. I love using this starter mix for all sorts of things and most of my co-workers and neighbors love it as well!  If you have never received the starter or you are between batches and want to try your hand at making it yourself, it is extremely easy!  If you do any kind of baking in your home, I KNOW you already have all the ingredients to start this!


I often try to find starter mixes that I can feed and keep during my baking season. Even though it sounds somewhat intimidating it truly is very easy. The most time consuming part is simply just allowing the starter to sit and ferment. This part of the process you really cannot rush because it is what gives your breads the flavor and texture. The great thing about starters is once you have your mother batch you just have to feed it and then you will have an endless supply to bake with every week to 10 days. As I outlined in my other article - Starter mixes are really Flexible! You do not have to bake on demand

 This recipe is by FAR one of the best recipes I have found thanks to +Melissa Ringstaff 

Here are the instructions, with my variation of course :0)

1/2 Tsp Dry active Yeast
1 oz. VERY warm water
1 Tbsp. Vinegar
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Warm Milk

Take the yeast and dissolve it in the WARM water along with the sugar and let is sit for a few minutes until it is getting foamy - this means the yeast is activated and eating. Add the rest of your ingredients, (I warmed my milk for 1 minute in the microwave) & mix together. You can either let it sit in a bowl covered with a cloth, a loose fitting lid or place it in a ziplock bag. If you use a bag like I do you will need to mush it around until all ingredients are mixed together. Daily you will need to also open the bag to "burp" it or it WILL pop. You will let it sit on your counter for 2 days and allow it to ferment - do NOT place it in your refrigerator. After 2 days you will now be ready to start your 10 day feeding schedule. You can adjust your feeding / use schedule, but I do recommend the first batch to allow it to go through the full 10 day cycle to allow it to get the sweet sour dough smell / taste. This will keep your future batches going with the same goodness!

Comments

Popular Posts