I found a really good article quite awhile ago and thought that I would share it with you. The article was written focusing on what they found to be 10 breeds of chickens that lay very well. There is also some helpful tips at the end of the article, but the one thing that made me feel good about my flock was that they outperformed the averages reported. Of the breeds that I have on that list, they not only lay more eggs they also lay bigger eggs! How is that possible?



 I really think it all has to do with the diet and their happiness :) and they repay me with many MANY eggs.




We eat some, we hatch some, we incubate some and we sell a lot off our farm. Here is how I keep my girls happy and healthy.



At least every other day I give them a few handfulls of whole corn mixed in with a little bit of sweet feed mixed grains as a treat.
I also cut up Aloe a few times a month which they absolutely love.
In the spring and summer I give them items from my garden - they love lettuce, watermelon and cukes - who doesn't?




It takes a lot of energy for them to produce eggs, so you need to feed them a good pellet feed high in calcium and round it out with snacks that gives them energy to not only produce eggs, but helps them to keep from getting run down and scraggly looking when molting tries to set in.
I get eggs all winter long!
















If you are looking to expand your flock or maybe just have the itch to become a chicken farmer and enjoy your own fresh eggs, contact us we will help in any way we can.
If you are not sure what breed you want this is a great article from The Happy Chicken Coop.



If you live in my area stop by our farm - Leaping Hens and Hooves Farm. We have fresh grade A eggs Extra Large to Jumbo collected daily, a diverse flock of laying hens, pullets, roosters, goats, kids, sheep and ducks Oh yes and our GSD that enjoys herding all of them.




#topchickenbreeds #sustainableliving #organicfarming #livingofftheland #leapinghensandhoovesfarm #localfarms #adamsrunsc

Comments

Popular Posts