Shampoo - DIY for Shiny and Manageable Hair


Homemade Shampoo 
Homemade Shampoo for .84 per Bottle! Say what? Yes you heard me correctly. It is extremely easy, Only takes a few minutes to put together and you will have about 3 bottles for $ 2.50
 Soft, shiny and manageable hair without all the chemicals. Once you discover this great recipe you will make sure to always keep the ingredients on hand. Most of the ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.



This is so easy and does not have all of the "bad" chemicals in it like many of the store bought shampoos! For my base I have been using the dollar general brand of baby shampoo which has no parabens or quatermium-15 in it. There are some other versions that are equally as good at cleaning and call for organic baby shampoos. In my quest of trying to find an economical baby shampoo I was shocked when I read the label of the Aveeno Baby Shampoo label and yet pleasantly surprised at the dollar general brand. You can use any organic base that you want. I am going for less chemicals. Maybe some day I will be brave enough to go totally organic with no poo :)

Shampoo ~ For Shiny and Manageable hair

What you will need:

24 oz Baby Shampoo - (I buy the dollar general brand - it is 1.50 for 15 oz. It has no parabens or Quatermium - 15) 
1/2 Cup White Vinegar - 100 % natural / pure
1 Cup Water
1 TBS Olive oil (you can also use coconut oil or jojoba)
10 Drops Each of Tea Tree, Lavender and Rosemary essential oils - you decide what you want :) I  have also used Sandalwood, Orange, Clove Oil and Lemon in prior batches. The first couple of batches I made I used Vanilla, Then I made a batch with lavendar - all are awesome!

5 TBSP of the Ultra Gel to thicken up your shampoo - You can also use Cornstarch and cook on medium heat for a few minutes if you don't have the Ultra gel on hand. Both ways work. The Ultra gel requires no cooking to thicken up. I use it in my pie fillings when preparing for canning :)
A medium size mixing bowl ~ a funnel, measuring spoons and a measuring cup. 
2 - 3 Shampoo or re-purposed bottles for storage, depending on the size.

Measure out your mixing bowl the Baby shampoo, Olive oil and Essential oils The Mix will take on a creamy look from the oils. Stir to mix all ingredients together with a wisk. Add in your Vinegar, water and stir again. Now quickly add in and mix the Ultra Gel and stir again to mix well. It will take about 5 - 10 minutes to completely thicken up. Do not add to much or it will get to thick to pour out of bottle.
Pour into your bottles and you are done! You should have 37 oz of finished product that will super clean your hair and leave it shiny and smooth! I had 3 of these bottles. 


Something to remember ~ This shampoo will not Lather as much as a store bought version BUT it will clean your hair better without the chemicals. I always wash my hair twice, even when I used to use the store bought versions. 
The 2nd wash does give more of a lather. 
Olive Oil in the recipe will NOT leave your hair greasy if you Rinse your hair well. It is great at hydrating your hair and leaving it shiny. 
This shampoo can be used on children, If you have babies I would only use the lavender EO and less of it (Just my personal opinion)

** This recipe is good for all hair types, If you want a custom version for  lighter shades of hair and to bring out the highlights use Lemon juice in place of the Vinegar. 
 If you have extremely oily hair I would lower the olive oil to 1 tsp or omit completely. You could always add it later. If your hair is extremely dry you could add a little more.

For darker hair you can add a tea of Rosemary or Cinnamon (in place of the water) or both combined and could forego needing to add the essential oils for the smell factor :)  To make this "tea" just take about 3/4 cup water and boil the rosemary or cinnamon sticks 1-2 broke in 3-4 pieces and boil for a few minutes and let steep or take one twig of rosemary and do the same. Experiment and let me know how it worked for you, or if you have any suggestions or variations PLEASE let me know, I love experimenting and learning!
Follow me on Pinterest and Google Plus

#DIYShampoo  #FrugalKitchens  #SustainableLiving #HomemadeShampoo  #BathandBeauty

Comments

Popular Posts