Mock Strawberry Jam with Squash or Zucchini

Yes you read the title correctly! It is AWESOME! It LOOKS like Jam, it TASTES like Jam and it SMELLS like Jam! It is EASY and it uses up your massive bounty of yellow squash or Zucchini. The Red color of the Jam looks so pretty! No one will ever know that you used the squash unless you tell them! I have now made 3 batches of this incredibly easy recipe - 1 Strawberry, 1 Orange and 1 mixed Berry & Grape - all are delicious! Below is a double batch that will yield 10 Pints - 9 to process in the canner and 1 for the refrigerator to eat now! You can successfully cut the ingredients in half and that will give you about 9 half pints. The beauty of this is you can use whatever flavor of Jello that you prefer! My next batch I am going to use Peach and make a Fresh Mint / Jalapeno Jam!
The first batch I made was the strawberry and now I am HOOKED on this. Because this was a new canning concept to me and my first batch I had forgotten to take pictures of each of the steps. When I made my next flavored batches of the orange jam & berry grape jam I did remember to take pictures so that is what is shown in my picture tutorial everything remains the same, only the flavor of the Jello changes ~ Love it!





12 cups* peeled, seeded, and shredded zucchini or yellow squash
10 cups white sugar
2 (15.25 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored Jell-O® mix * You can use any flavor
12 Tbsp Ball Canning Pectin
10 Pint jars & lids sterilized
Boiling water Canner  or Pressure Canner

*When measuring the squash make sure to pack it down tight in the measuring cup!
Shred the zucchini or yellow squash - I used the squash. Place the squash in the sauce pan with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil, lower heat, cover with lid and continue to simmer until it is tender 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.

You will not really notice any water in there in the beginning but avoid the temptation to add more as the squash itself will release its water as it is cooking (pictured above). I pull the lid off on the last few minutes to allow the excess water to cook off some. Next add the pectin and mix well. Bring the mixture to a hard boil (a hard boil cannot be stirred down) and let it boil for a minute - lower heat to medium and add the pineapple, sugar and lemon juice in a large sauce pan and bring it back up to a hard boil for 5 minutes.
Make sure to keep stirring it as you do not want to burn the mix or have it cook down too much.

I use the last few minutes to get my table ready with the towel, jar lifter, large funnel, ladel, magnetic lid wand and the lids / bands. Once I mix the jello in I grab my hot jars out of my dishwasher - I have been using this method for years! I simply put my jars in there by themselves, run a hot rinse on them and choose hot dry.

Remove from heat and add the Jello mix in. Stir completely until the Jello is dissolved. 

Ladle into your jars, wipe off the tops and place the lids and bands finger tight.




Process in your Boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Start timing from the time that the water starts to boil again after placing your jars in. * In a water bath canner you want to have the water covering your jars by 1" - 2"  I used my pressure cooker that is why the water level is low.
I have seen where a lot of people who make this mock jam use a hot water bath canner - I ERR on the side of caution with this recipe ~ Squash is a low acid food and even though I add in lemon juice and pineapple which are high acid and use sugar which is a preservative I have no way of confirming the *acidic* level to know if it will remain safe - with a pressure canner the temp gets high enough to kill any nasties and sterilize :))

**If processing in a pressure canner I used 10# for 4 minutes start the timing from the time you reach 10# - please only use a pressure canner if you are familiar with how they work or read the instructions carefully on how to let it depressurize BEFORE opening it to remove your jars**

Carefully remove the jars and sit on a towel on your counter away from drafts and allow to cool. You will soon hear the lids popping as they seal. Once the jars are cooled you can remove the bands and place labels on the lids marking the contents and date.

Thats it! Another great way to use your Zucchini. or yellow squash.... shhhhhhhh your children do not have to know that they are eating VEGETABLES lol  :)

#MockJam  #SquashJam  #OrangeJam  #StrawberryJam #EasydiyRecipes  #SustainableLiving  #FrugalKitchens  #HowtomakeJamfromSquash  #gardentotable  #foodpreservation #canning

Comments

Popular Posts