Sour Dough Bread Starter Mix - Home made!

Hello everyone! First I would like to apologize for not blogging the last few weeks! I have been so busy making all of my items and catching up on my other life "duties" I just ran out of time. But NOW I have got a lot of great items to post for you along with the photo's in action. I hope you enjoy trying these as much as I do! First in the line up is a scrumptious Sour Dough Bread Starter Mix that will leave your family wanting more!  


It is super easy to put together, less than 10 minutes to mix up, the hard part is waiting for the fermentation to take place so you can bake with it! Let's get started, after all... Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

Sour Dough Bread Starter Mix
Ingredients:
3 Cups of Warm water - 90-110 degrees
2 1/2 Tsp. Yeast
3 TBS Sugar
1 cup of Instant potatoes OR 1 medium potato diced, cooked and mashed into the water.
1 Quart Jar with lid




Take 1 cup of warm water 90 - 110 degrees and mix in the yeast and the sugar. Let sit for about 5 minutes until it is well dissolved and frothy.  








Warm up 2 cups of water with the potato mix - a few minutes is all you need, remember you need only to get the water warm enough blend in the instant potatoes. You will need it to be cool it down to no hotter than 110 . Place the potato water in your jar.








Now pour the yeast water into the jar and swish around a few times to mix it into the potato water.  Place the lid on "LOOSELY" so it can breathe as it ferments. You will have a couple of inches of head space in your jar. You are now officially done..... at least for 8 hours minimum. Leave this sit out at room temperature to ferment. 


This picture is less than an hour later it is already fermenting and bubbling nicely - the yeast is eating all that wonderful sugar and potato water! This is why the lid must "barely" be placed on the top. If you insist on screwing it down, I am not responsible for the "explosion" that you will have Nor the mess you have to clean up ;0)


The wait is over, you are now ready to make some homemade Sour Dough Bread. I have a wonderful old time recipe that I found at motherearthnews.com  that I tweeked, I will share my version with you tomorrow, so stay tuned. It turns out wonderful, light & airy! What could be better on a cold winters day than some fresh bread baking in the oven, filling your home with that "welcome" smell & you make it with no preservatives or chemicals! That is a change we can all live with!

Comments

Popular Posts