Stained Glass Jello Blocks

Have you ever seen how beautiful a layered Jello looks? I usually make a couple per year for big get togethers or Church pot lucks. Since we are having a large baptism on Sunday I wanted to make one with patriotic colors being so close to the fourth of July. The problem is it does take quite awhile to put together the layers. I stumbled upon this great recipe variation to my beloved layered Jello and I am quite pleased on how it turned out. The time it saved is really appreciated as well!  I think next time I will do this same recipe and pour it into my "Bundt" cake pan to set to see that color combo :)



Thanks to Ourbestbites.com for the great idea! I did "tweek" the recipe slightly. I am SO BAD when it comes to following instructions lol!  In looking around on other sites I also noticed one that had a clear look to it - Some of the variations in that recipe used 14 oz. of Juice with the gelatin packs instead of the condensed milk, another used 7 UP (yum). I may have to try that one another time with different fruit juices to give it a hint of transparent color.


What you will need: 


4 3-oz. packages assorted Jello (in coordinating colors of your choice)


3/4 Cup Hot Water per Box of Jello
3/4 Cup Cold Water per box of Jello
2 packets unflavored gelatin
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk

4 small food containers to set the jello in.



Spray 4 small food storage containers (like Tupperware/Gladware/Rubbermaid) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Heat 4 cups of water to a boil - I heated mine in the Microwave 4 minutes. Combine 3/4 Cup boiling water with 1 package of Jello, stirring until dissolved. 


Add 3/4 Cup of Cold Water. Place the dissolved Jello in one of the prepared containers. Repeat with the remaining packages of Jello.


 Refrigerate and let set up for at least 4 hours. I did this first thing in the morning and then finished the last step late in the day so it would be good and set up to take with me the next morning.


When the Jello has set, bring another 1 1/2 c. of water to a boil. While the water is heating, sprinkle 2 packets of unflavored gelatin over 1/2 c. of cold water. Allow to stand for about 4 minutes. When the water is boiling, pour 1 1/2 c. boiling water over the dissolved gelatin and stir to combine. Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix well. Allow to come to room temperature.

Lightly spray a 9×13″ pan with non-stick cooking spray. Carefully cut the colored Jello into cubes and gently toss to combine in the 9×13″ pan. 



Pour the cooled milk mixture over the colored Jello and, if necessary, rearrange some of the colored Jello to make sure it is evenly distributed and not sticking out of the white mixture too far.


Place the 9×13″ pan in the refrigerator and chill overnight. Cut into squares, rectangles, or various shapes with cookie cutters and serve. Isn't that pretty?  I am leaving mine in the container to carry with me but I just had to show you how it looks once cut!






This was definitely a lot less time consuming as You mix up all the flavors at once and let them sit, compared to the layering method which requires your constant "presence" in the kitchen and I have far too many things to can & process to be tied up with the Jello :)

#EasyDesserts  #JelloTreats  #JelloBlocks  #FamilyPicnics  #SustainableLiving  #FrugalKitchen  #LayeredJello

Comments

Popular Posts